Skip to Content

How I Can Help

My local office is here to help you cut through government red tape. We may be able to help you retrieve backlogged veterans' benefits, fix issues with Social Security and Medicare, get stalled tax refunds or passports, and much more.

If you need help, please refer to this page for more specific information on how my office may be able to help you. If we're unable to assist you, my staff may be able to help direct you to someone who can.

Please don't hesitate to call my office at (916) 635-0505 if you need help.

Can we help you?

My local office may be able to help you if you're having a problem with a federal government agency. For example, my office frequently assists veterans who are having trouble with getting their benefits, seniors who are having trouble with Social Security and Medicare, and local residents who are experiencing immigration problems. This type of assistance is what we call casework.

Some other federal agencies my office works with also include the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), the Small Business Administration (SBA), the Department of Defense (DOD), and the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). If you're not sure if the government agency you're dealing with is part of the federal government you can call my office at (916) 635-0505 or click here to see a complete list of federal government agencies on USA.govPlease note that my office cannot guarantee a favorable outcome for your personal case or situation. Federal agencies can exercise their discretion when deciding individual cases and they have the final say on whatever the outcome may be. However, I can promise you that my staff will work diligently on your behalf and do our best to make sure you receive a response to your concerns.

We are only able to assist residents of California's 6th congressional district, which is entirely within Sacramento County. If you're not sure which congressional district you live in, you can call us at (916) 635 0505 or click here to find out.

Click here to go back to the top.

What can't Congressional offices help with?

U.S. Congressional offices can only assist with problems you may be having with the federal government, or the national government of the United States. However, if your problem is something my office can't help with directly, we will do our best to be a resource and direct you to the right place for assistance.

Congressional offices cannot fix problems that you may be having with foreign governments, the state of California, your local city or Sacramento County, or with legal matters that may be before a court. Here are some specific examples:

  • Lost driver's license
  • Worker's compensation
  • Medi-Cal benefits
  • Insurance fraud
  • Civil Disputes
  • Travel visas to other countries
  • Police and criminal investigations
  • Child support

If you're not sure where to go for help, please call my office at (916) 635-0505 so we can direct you to the right place. Below are some links to help you find your California state representatives and Sacramento County supervisor.

How can you get started if you need help?

If you need help, please call us at (916) 635-0505. If your issue is something we can help with, we will ask you to fill out a Privacy Act Waiver to authorize our office to contact the federal agency on your behalf.

According to the Privacy Act of 1974 (5 U.S.C. § 552a), members of Congress or their staff must have written authorization before they can obtain information about an individual's case. We must have your complete Privacy Act Waiver form with your signature to proceed.

You can click here to download the Privacy Act waiver form (PDF)

Please click here to download a separate Privacy Act waiver form if your case involves an immigration issue (PDF)

You may return the form by fax (916) 635-0514, email, in person, or by mail to:

8950 Cal Center Drive
Building 3, Suite 100
Sacramento, CA 95826

In addition, you should gather any relevant documents that you may have regarding your particular case. My staff may need access to these documents in order to assist you. These documents may include:

  • The most recent written communications you have sent or received from the federal agency (this includes letters, decisions, notices, etc.)
  • Any receipts for fees that you have paid.
  • Any other pertinent information including timelines or summaries regarding your issue

Click here to go back to the top.

Social Security and Medicare

My office can help you with Social Security benefits, as well as Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Medicare.

Veterans' benefits

My office can assist you with benefits, eligibility determination, and replacement of medals earned.

  • Would you like to apply for veterans benefits? Use VONAPPto apply online.
  • Would you like to appeal a decision? Find out how at the Board of Veterans Appeals.


My office can inquire about immigration petitions, adjustments of status, naturalization applications, and non-immigrant petitions. Here are some links that can help you get quick answers to some of your immigration questions:


My office can help expedite U.S. passport applications in emergency situations, and provide other assistance regarding U.S. passports.

Visit the State Department passport application website to see how you can apply for a passport. To get help with general questions, see the State Department's Frequently Asked Question  page regarding passports.

Quick links:

  • Track the status of an open application by clicking HERE.
  • Contact U.S. Passports by clicking HERE.

Phone information for the National Passport Information Center (NPIC):

  • Representatives are available Mondays through Fridays 8:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. ET, or on Saturdays and Sundays from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. ET. They are closed on federal holidays.
  • The primary number is 1-877-487-2778.
  • Se habla español.
  • If you are deaf or hard of hearing, call 1-888-874-7793 for TDD/TTY teletype services.
For more help from the Office of Congressman Ami Bera, please contact us by sharing your information here: LINK


My office can provide you inquiries regarding tax issues. You may also wish to contact our local Taxpayer Advocate Service at (916) 974 5225. You can click here to learn more and see what services they can provide you.

Click here to go back to the top.